About the organization
GERI was founded in 2010 and is registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) of Nigeria as a non-political, non-profit making and non-governmental organization. In the recent past decades, man has been faced with a rapidly deteriorating environment that daily draws a very disturbing attention. The world today is faced by global warming and climate change, flooding, deforestation, land misuse leading to gully erosion, solid waste disposal problems, excessive gaming, marine and atmospheric pollution. The importance of environment to the development of individuals, communities and nations is enormous. It provides the resource for physical, economic and social development with attendant gender dimensions. Increasing evidence reveals that there is a strong linkage between the natural environment and livelihoods of people especially the poor men and women and other vulnerable groups. Currently, this issue of global environmental change has drawn more attention than in the past. Informed by the depth of environmental problems and deplorable livelihood conditions of men and women, GERI is set out to help build resilience and facilitate the reduction of risk resulting from environmental change and associated problems on livelihoods of especially women, youths and children in Nigeria and Africa.
Against this background, GERI has been involved in rapid emergency humanitarian response aimed at bringing relief to displaced persons as a result of natural and or man-made disasters. This has witnessed the implementation of both self and development partner funded projects which we have implemented through the following humanitarian thematic areas:
a) Search and rescue
b) Camp coordination
c) Training of camp volunteers
d) Resource mobilization
e) Distribution of materials to IDPs
f) Livelihood support
g) Social protection
To promote the core values and tenets of environmental sustainability and a healthy relationship between gender, environment and sustainable development in Nigeria and Africa.
To create strategic opportunities that will facilitate reduction of negative environmental impact on men and women, households and communities livelihoods
• To achieve effective environmental communication and early warning systems.
• To build capacities of relevant stakeholders towards understanding of national, regional and international dimension to environmental/disaster risk reduction tools and measures.
• To build capacities of men and women to efficiently respond to all forms of environmental change/shocks.
• To provide environmental education that creates awareness on issues of environmental change.
• To promote principles of environmental sustainability and enhance environmental governance.
• To promote environmental and social justice, based on democratic principle, civic rights and obligations, women and children’s rights, gender equality, peace building and conflict resolution, women and youth empowerment.
Thematic areas of work
Environment (Climate Change Education and Adaptation, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene), Governance, Peace Building and Conflict Resolution, Women and Youth Empowerment and Livelihoods, Family and Reproductive Health, Agricultural Business, Sexual and Gender Based Violence(SGBV) & Gender Issues.
Contact address of organization
Benue Office ( Head Office) Plot 625 Flat 1 David Mark Bye Pass High Level Makurdi.
Abuja Office: Suites D1 & D2, 3rd Floor, Awmar Plaza, Near Gudu Market Junction, Apo, Abuja
Nasarawa Contact Office: No. 3, First Floor, Danma ‘Aje Shopping Complex, Beside Access Bank, Lafia, Nasarawa State
Phone Contact: 08036137411, 0706 839 7658,
www. facebook.com/GERI Twitter: @GERIinitiative