About the organization
Okaha Women and Children Development Organization (OWACDO) is a Non-Governmental Organization founded in 2010 and became operational in the same year. Her core focus is Gender Equality and Empowerment of the less privileged in the society thereby placing premium on Women, Girls and Children who are the majority in her target population.
OWACDO envisions a society where Women and Girls have equal rights and access to education, health and opportunities as their male counterparts.
Okaha Women and Children Development Organization upholds the following values:
• Human Right
• Team work
OWACDO’s singular purpose is to fight against all factors such as poverty, ignorance, diseases and harmful cultural norms and practices militating the development of Women, Girls and Children in the society.
The objectives of Okaha Women and Children Development Organization as contained in its constitution are as follows:
1. To provide a forum for the exchange of information, ideas, technique and insight to help succeed in the fight against Gender Based Violence, Poverty and Diseases among women, children and youth in line with the Federal Government policies on same.
2. To create awareness and provide public enlightenment on the growing problems, indecent treatment and exploitation of the target group.
3. To facilitate economic empowerment of the disadvantaged, promote the rights of the vulnerable; rehabilitate institutions by providing technical education and vocational skills necessary to support life.
4. To raise the consciousness of the target group in rural focused communities about their rights and roles in order to appropriate their social, health, political and economic responsibilities.
5. To collaborate and network with national and international NGOs to promote knowledge, good health and improved standard of living for the vulnerable women, youth and children.
6. To promote peoples understanding of their entitlement to quality health care and their responsibility in prevention and management of priority health problems such as HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis (TB) Hepatitis, Malaria, Polio, Reproductive Health and Motherhood.
7. Raising the income of the target group by providing access to credit facilities and establishing channels for cottage industries and processing of farm produce.
8. To provide a data base on condition of women, youth and children living in abject poverty and submitting periodic reports on the implementation of National Policies on poverty eradication, basic education and healthcare programmes.
9. To condemn all the prejudices against the target group and fight for the removal of all encumbrances which hinder the girl child from achieving self-fulfillment and more investment on the girl child.
Thematic areas of work
1. GENDER MAINSTREAMING
Sexual and Gender Based Violence
Female Genital Mutilation
Sensitization against harmful cultural practices
2. HUMANITARIAN RESPONSE
Emergency Response to Disasters
HIV/AIDS Sensitization and Management
Infant and Maternal Health Sensitization
Tropical and Non-Tropical Diseases Sensitization
Menstrual Health Hygiene Management
Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)
Open Defecation free Campaign
5. GOOD GOVERNANCE AND POLICY
Advocacy on Transparent Governance Practice
( Open Government Partnership
Capacity Building for Policy Makers at all levels
Civic Rights Education
Budget Tracking and Monitoring
Legislative Monitoring and Advocacy
Advocacy for Robust Policy Formulation and Regulation
6. KNOWLEDGE AND INFORMATION MANAGEMENT
Project Monitoring and Evaluation
Data Collation and Management
Contact address of organization
CORPERATE OFFICE ADDRESS: #6 Victor Malu Road New GRA
Makurdi, Benue State
BRANCH OFFICE : No 2. Secretariat Road
Okaha College Premises,
Oju LGA, Benue State.
NO 10, Old Barrack Road, Obi LGA,
Obi Local Government
Contact Person: Mrs. Joy A. Ijuwo
Position: Executive Director/State Coordinator NEWSAN
Telephone +234-8033714318, 0808 390 3087