About the organization
The West Africa Network for Peacebuilding (WANEP-Nigeria) was established out of necessity to provide an organized platform for collaborative peacebuilding in Nigeria by indigenous organizations working in the area of conflict prevention, transformation and peacebuilding. Its operational framework is designed along the visions of the regional network operating in West Africa, Chad and Cameroun with the overarching goal of building sustainable peace and development in the region. Prior to its establishment and registration in 2001 and 2003 respectively, the regional coordinating secretariat of WANEP at Accra-Ghana, had been working with a loose network of independent Non-Governmental and Community Based Organizations in Nigeria to respond to the complex web of conflicts that have permeated and continues to challenge the national fabric and existence of the country. These organizations with diverse interest in human rights, conflict transformation and good governance, have been committed to respond to conflicts in Nigeria and thus provided the bridge for WANEP’s initial intervention programs in Nigeria. WANEP-Nigeria, like other country based WANEP structures in the West Africa Sub region, operates through a membership scheme that provides technical support and builds the peacebuilding capacity of its member organizations to intervene effectively at the grassroots level in various communities of the country.
A Nigeria characterized by just and peaceful coexistence among communities where dignity of the human person is paramount and where the people can meet their basic human needs and decide their own direction.
To enable and facilitate the development of mechanisms for cooperation among civil society based peacebuilding practitioners and organisations in Nigeria by providing cooperative responses to violent conflicts; providing structure through which these practitioners and institutions can regularly share experiences and information on peacebuilding, conflict transformation, social, ethno-religious and political reconciliation and tolerance; and promoting cultural values as resources for peacebuilding.
• Strengthen the peacebuilding capacity of organizations and practitioners to actively engage in the prevention and/or peaceful transformation of violent conflicts in Nigeria;
• Increase awareness and use of non-violent strategies as a proactive response to conflicts in order to avoid violence;
• Promote principled and responsive leadership in the country within context that appreciates the culture of non-violence, advocates for just social, political structures and relationships;
• Engender conflict prevention and peacebuilding issues in the country; and
• Harmonize and develop conflict prevention through peacebuilding activities by networking and coordination of WANEP members into viable networks and mechanisms.
Contact address of organization
27 Adeniji Street,
Tel: +234 803 324 3345
Mobile: +234 806 207 2468
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com